[Newbies] Time

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Oct 7 19:56:05 UTC 2006

Am 07.10.2006 um 14:47 schrieb keith hodges:

>>  in parallel (blocking would prevent that concurrency). You can,
>> however, set the ticking rate of a script to adjust the speed at
>> which actions are performed.
>
> Can you ?

Hold down on the ticker clock icon.

> Where is all this information?

Most UI elements in etoys have bubble help if you hover over them,
including that ticker icon.

Also, it probably is in the Powerful Ideas book. This is a must-read
when you start with etoys. It might also be mentioned on the
Squeakland website, which is another required reading place.

However, most information still is passed on orally, in hands-on
workshops, at squeak fest etc. We as a community are in dire need of
people documenting all the cool stuff that is in Etoys and Squeak,
and making it available at a central place for easy finding.

There is even a lot written already, but hard to find. I just googled
for "squeak ticker adjust" and found a PDF created by Lucy Qiu of Don
Mills Middle School that describes this:

"If you want to adjust the speed of your animation, click on the
green ticker but don’t let go of the mouse until the green ticker
turns gray. A menu will appear after that, you can select the speed
you want from the menu, 1 is the slowest you can get."

Of course, by typing in a fraction you can get even slower - this is
the problem with beginner's tutorials, in that you do not want to
mention all available options right up front. So many of the more
useful tips are never written down.

Anyway, collecting this stuff in a comprehensive manner would be very
useful.

- Bert -