[Newbies] Some sample code to help understand Morphic applications

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 09:59:47 UTC 2006

Hi Dave,
I know that feeling well! Having programmed in many environments over the
years, I recognise that Squeak has lots of great stuff under the covers, but
it takes a lot of work to find your way around at first.

Here's how to load and run the application from scratch:

Start in a Morphic Project (the project you're in when you launch Squeak is
actually morphic, so there's no need to open one specially except for
tidyness).

Click on the background. This will bring up the World menu. Choose "open..."
then "file list", which will bring up a file browser.

Navigate to the file and click on it. You will see that the buttons will
change to include a "file in" button. Click that button!

The code is then "filed-in" - you can look at it using the Browser (World
menu>open>browser  or cmd-B (Mac) / Alt-B (PC)).

To run it, open a Workspace (World menu>open>workspace, cmd-K) and type
"SampleImageViewerMorph new" (without the quotes), and press cmd-D/alt-D at
the end of the line - the application should then launch.

Press the dir button to select a directory, then press enter in the
directory text box, and enjoy the pictures!

I hope this helps.

Michael

ps the other way to load the code is using the Monticello Browser against
the squeaksource.com code. This is really useful once you work out how to do
it, especially for code that is likely to change. I'm sure I remember seeing
an email that explained how to use it in great detail, but here's one from
Avi Bryant that gives enough to get started:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-July/079958.html
(change http://www.squeaksource.com/Graph<http://www.squeaksource.com/Graph%27>
to http://www.squeaksource.com/SampleImageViewer<http://www.squeaksource.com/Graph%27>in
this case).