[Newbies] Some sample code to help understand Morphic applications

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:34:01 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Another Dave <dooright101 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Neither Squeak 3.8 nor 3.9 will give me that "file in" button, but now
> that
> I know the .mcz extension means Monticello I can make my incoming
> directory
> a repository and open it. From there I can load the image.

Sorry, I assumed it was the .st file you were having problems with.

Starting things off with "SampleImageViewerMorph new"  in a workspace is
> really basic, but it is something that us new guys just don't get until
> we've done a few examples.

That's been my experience too - once you understand the 'shape' of the
solution you're trying to build, it's easier to use the browsers to find
relevant code to learn from

I gather that the final class in the listing will
> generally be the one that you start the program with--bottom-up
> programming,
> as in Forth?

If I understand you right, then the answer's 'no'  - everything's listed
alphabetically in the browser - it's just a co-incidence that this reflects
the "level" of the classes in this case.

System browser, rt click on class category, then select printOut is another
> command that isn't talked about much, and I guess you have to "just know"
> that the .html output listing is not really HTML, but now I have a printed
> listing with lots of comments, and a running program with buttons and
> graphics.

Nice! Thanks!

No problem,
Michael