[Newbies] getters, setters, attr?

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 03:20:32 UTC 2006

One important difference: in Ruby you are using a mini-DSL. Remove or rename
the attr... and the getters and setters follow. In Squeak once you generate
the accessors you deal with them individually. So if you remove the instance
variable, you have to manually remove the accessors.

Since you are in an image-based world with Squeak, a solution closer to Ruby
would be to extend Class with methods like
  add_attribute: name :rw aBoolean
  remove_attribute :name
and invoke these directly on the appropriate classes. I suppose you can also
extend the environment to put these onto menus.

You could step these up to Active-Record like DSLs (Magritte does equivalent
things)
  add_attribute: name :rw aBoolean multiple: aBoolean inverse: aName

My (naive) understanding is that somehow this DSL-like style does not appear
to have become popular in the Smalltalk world. Is that true?