[Newbies] Licence

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Sep 25 15:05:00 UTC 2006

Am 25.09.2006 um 16:15 schrieb Luis:

> Hiya,
>
> This has probably been asked a gazillion times, but with the 3.9
> release, I was wondering if anything had been done about the
> embedded Apple Fonts and the current Squeak Licence.

There are no Apple Fonts anymore. We switched to the free Accu and
Bitstream Vera Fonts a while ago.

> In plain terms I would like to know that if I do not modify any
> underlying code, and I preserve the licence with the 'application',
> that I can create any application with Squeak and distribute it for
> free or for profit.

If you're doing it for profit, you should not just seek advice on a
mailing list - IANAL ;-)

> A little clearer: I create a Squeak image, tailored to a specific
> requirement (let's say for example: A game) that I can then give
> away or sell.

That is what other companies have been doing. E.g., impara with
"Plopp" (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3898353664). That was
bundled with a VM, so users would not even notice it is build with
Squeak unless waiting through the end-credits. Looks like any normal
app, comes with its own EULA - no license worries.

- Bert -