[Newbies] Trouble using class Socket

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gulik.co.nz
Sun Apr 1 09:32:29 UTC 2007

Marcelo Barbosa wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm starting with network classes of Squeak and having some trouble.
> I've tried to execute the following code in Workspace Window:
>
> Socket ping: 'www.cnn.com <http://www.cnn.com>'
>
> and after a few seconds a dialog box poped up with the following
> message: 'Continue to wait for connection to desktop?'
>
> I cannot imagine what is wrong. My connection to the Internet is
> working perfectly. I can ping the host www.cnn.com
> <http://www.cnn.com> using the Windows Command Prompt.

Well... look at the code!

Socket>>ping: hostName
    "Ping the given host. Useful for checking network connectivity. The
host must be running a TCP echo server."

In other words, Socket>>ping does not do a "normal" ICMP ping, but
rather tries to connect to a remote server running an echo service on
TCP port 7.

Try telnetting to that server on port 7 and see what happens.

Michael.