[Newbies] Query about Transcript object

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Mon Apr 2 23:12:28 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> I wrote the following line of code to display the numbers 1
> to 200 in the Transcript Window.
>
> 1 to: 200 do: [ :x | Transcript show: x ; cr ].
>
> The numbers are displayed quite slowly and while they are
> being displayed, I am unable to perform any other action, for
> example, click on other Windows to raise them to the front or
> bring up the context sensitive menu.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

You aren't doing anything wrong.  The Transcript is very slow, it's meant
for debugging, never worry about speed while printing to the transcript.
Never print to the transcript when you're worrying about speed.

Squeak's UI runs do its on the same thread as the UI thread, so while you
execute any code in a workspace, expect the whole UI to lockup.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com