Morph Window -> Class? (was: [Newbies] error loading .pr

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 3 16:27:55 UTC 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 13:53 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/3/07 8:44 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de> escribió:
>
>> Edgar is right about that one - when loading a .pr in a newer image
>> you can do all sorts of adjustments to make it work. This works in
>> the Squeakland line of images for example - but it takes dedicated
>> efforts to ensure loadability.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Bert you always inspire me , as all what Squeakland do
>
> I got the etoys-2.0-1217.image , but I can found any way of get
> Tools ,
> World menu, etc.

It's hidden - press Cmd-Shift-W.

> The final product could have a "programmer mode" (Morphic)?

Actually we do think about this, yes. Our original thinking was to
avoid support issues - if we only expose etoys and not the Smalltalk
browser, we only need to worry about etoys, and not about generic
smalltalk stuff. Besides, the OLPC folks want kids to switch from
Etoys to Python once they are older and we do not want to interfere
with that goal.

However, it would be a waste to completely hide the power of
Smalltalk. We want to hide it a little bit so as to not confuse
beginners, but it should be possible. There are problems however -
etoys projects are not ideal for dealing with source code for one. So
ideas and contributions are appreciated.

> Could the Squeakland people have interest in OLPC to 3.10 and 3.10
> to OLPC
> way of loading things ?

Interest yes, but we don't have any resources to spare for this,
unfortunately.

- Bert -