Morph Window -> Class? (was: [Newbies] error loading .pr

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 8 03:10:32 UTC 2007

On 2007 April 3 12:27, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2007, at 13:53 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

<<...>>
> > The final product could have a "programmer mode" (Morphic)?
>
> Actually we do think about this, yes. Our original thinking was to
> avoid support issues - if we only expose etoys and not the Smalltalk
> browser, we only need to worry about etoys, and not about generic
> smalltalk stuff. Besides, the OLPC folks want kids to switch from
> Etoys to Python once they are older and we do not want to interfere
> with that goal.

How very disappointing .... this is not the first time I understand politics,
not results, are driving the OLPC software future. So instead of "kids first"
we will have "python first". There is of course, absolutely nothing wrong
with competition, but for some to advocate Python to the point that others
feel they need to step back and not do the best their language and
environment can do, and hide it, that is wrong. (Especially without proven
results in python based child education such as eToys have.)

In the 90's I often heard in business "we are a VB shop, so we do not do
(Java, C++, whatever) projects" and I hated it, but to find it in a project
that should be above this, that is sad.

Milan