[Newbies] Smalltalk on OLPC (was Re: Morph Window -> Class?)

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Sun Apr 8 17:52:59 UTC 2007

Hi,

Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On Apr 8, 2007, at 19:17 , Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
[...]
>> XO machines need to mature with the children as the time goes on, and
>> continuity is a key factor on that. We need bridges instead of abyss,
>> inclusion instead of exclusion.
>
> Agreed. But, as I wrote before:
>
>> However, it would be a waste to completely hide the power of
>> Smalltalk. We want to hide it a little bit so as to not confuse
>> beginners, but it should be possible. There are problems however -
>> etoys projects are not ideal for dealing with source code for one. So
>> ideas and contributions are appreciated.
>
> So everybody interested in making the "Smalltalk experience" on the
> OLPC machine an enjoyable one, please help. The VPRI group focuses on
> etoys and system integration, but you are invited to contribute. And,
> in case this has not been clear, you do *not* need an OLPC prototype
> to run this. It's Squeak, after all.

I'm already helping. I have the OLPC image running on my laptop and
we're making test (one problem is that the content generated on larger
and different aspect ratio displays gets messed on the machine, as we
already tested, and we reported a bug with bookmarks on the Squeak
beginner list that was patched for OLPC and we test the patch on other
Squeak images). Next thing that we're going to probe is some interactive
content (fables and child tales) made, may be on Scratch in the same
sense of "Speak Up" projects (we'll see how this is supported by the
display) and we're going to test how to pass from eToys to Bots Inc in
the OLPC image (or may be having alternative images... I don't know
yet). I was not criticizing the VPRI focus and I understand the lack of
resources and need for volunteer effort, I was talking about "from eToys
to python" silent decision without any continuity and reflection from
the people who will be using the machines.

Cheers,

Offray