[Newbies] Advice on tracing program logic

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Apr 14 15:52:09 UTC 2007

El 4/14/07 11:50 AM, "andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com"
<andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com> escribió:

> Hello
>
> I need a little help working out how to 'trace' a Squeak program.  This is
> the problem which started me off.  I wanted to insatiate a FileList - just
> to play around with it.  I knew I could create one by using the icon in
> the tools flap, but I couldn't work out how to create a new instance which
> was visible. I tried:
>
> tmp1 := FileList open.
> tmp1 makeMeVisible
>
> which gave me a debug window.
>
> What I need to understand at the moment is how can I see the code which is
> being called when I click on the File List icon in the tools flap, because
> that is obviously creating an instance in the right way.  I did try
> inspecting the icon but that didn't really give me any clues.
>
> What I am hoping is that if I can understand how an experienced squeaker
> would deal with this very simple case, it will help me understand how to
> learn squeak more generally
>
> Thanks
> AB

FileList2 prototypicalToolWindow openInWorld.
FileList prototypicalToolWindow openInWorld

If you like more FileList2, do the following.
Select FileList icon in Tools flap via halo.
Select the wrench icon for "debug it".
You must have a Inspector , with this tool you could austounding things.
Scroll the left panel for you select "target", in the right one should have
FileList or FileList2 .
For change , you must type wich type you wish and the on the menu do "acept"
(or command s or alt s)

Presto, now you Squeak is under your control and could suit to your taste.
For follow what Squeak do for some, select as example :

FileList2 prototypicalToolWindow openInWorld.

In the Workspace window and do debug it.
Always what you press the Into button, you could follow inner methods.

Selecting only prototypicalToolWindow and command n or alt n you could see
all senders of this message

Selecting only prototypicalToolWindow and command m or alt m you could see
all implementors of this message

Smalltalk / Squeak is like Codigo da Vinci, you need follow the right clues
:=)

Edgar