[Newbies] Re: Efficiently writing to a file

Zulq Alam me at zulq.net
Sun Apr 22 22:37:46 UTC 2007

Hi Ian,

You can get significant improvements by, writing to the file in one go,
avoiding any intermediate strings, and taking a good guess at the size
of your buffer.

| bs fs bt ft |
bs := WriteStream on: (String new: 60000).
bt := Time millisecondsToRun:
	[1 to: 10000 do:
		[:i |
		i printOn: bs.
		bs
			nextPut: Character cr;
			nextPut: Character lf]].
fs := StandardFileStream fileNamed: 'c:/test4.txt'.
ft := Time millisecondsToRun:
	[[fs nextPutAll: bs contents]
		ensure: [fs close]].
Transcript
	show: bt asString;
	show: ' / ';
	show: ft asString;
	show: ' / ';
	show: bt + ft asString;
	cr.

The above runs in about 162ms on my machine where as your initial code
takes about 275ms.

If, however, I load the VisualWorks implementations of these methods
(change set attached) the above runs in about 65ms. I wouldn't use this
change set if I were you - I've probably broken something!

I think number printing could be improved considerably without any
primitives.

Thanks,
Zulq.