[Newbies] Looking at Squeak

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gulik.co.nz
Fri Apr 27 00:38:35 UTC 2007

email at noblebell.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Smalltalk and want to learn it. I have experience in C#
> and Java and BASIC of various flavors. I downloaded the Dolphin
> Smalltalk system for Windows and went through some of the tutorials. I
> really got discouraged by the hefty price tags of both Dolphin and Cincom.
>
> My question, can I develop shareware applications in Squeak that are
> standalone and also crossplatform?

Firstly, in my opinion Smalltalk is far superior to C#, Java and BASIC
:-). But then again, that's just my opinion.

You can develop shareware applications in Squeak, and they're mostly
guaranteed to be cross-platform. It's possible that you may come across
OS-dependant behaviour if you use external interfaces such as TCP/IP,
files, 3-D graphics etc, but this applies to all programming languages.

To distribute your applications, you have several options:

1. You could distribute your "image". This is essentially a snapshot of
your application, and makes it trivial for somebody else to run your
application. For examples of images, see the "Pre-configured images"
section of http://www.squeak.org/Download/. Images range from 4MB up to
100MB depending on how much stuff you put in them.

2. You can distribute "Monticello" files (.mcz files). These are what we
developers use to share code with each other, but aren't too difficult
for ordinary users to load. Monticello files range from a few kilobytes
to a few megabytes (if you try really hard :-) ). Examples of these are
splattered all over http://www.squeaksource.com.

3. You can save Morphic projects as .pr files. I don't know much about
these. I think there was something in Squeak called "Bobs super swiki"
or something which lets you play with these, but that may be obsolete by
now.

Regards,
Michael.