[Newbies] How to use development tools with a "consumer application VM image"

Michael Vorburger mike at vorburger.ch
Sun Aug 5 13:42:53 UTC 2007

Hello Squeakers!

How do you "peek" into it a Squeak image like the one Scratch
distributes, so to see and learn from the Scratch classes and methods
etc. and "hack" (in the best sense of the word) it?

My understanding is that such an image is made "consumer friendly"
(what's the term you use for doing things like what's described on
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/205.html ?), so when the VM
starts, it immediately shows that "application" only, right-clicks are
overloaded, and one can not access e.g. a Browser, Workspace etc.
development tools anymore, if they even are still part of this kind of
images.

I am curious how Smalltalk/Squeak handles this issue that probably
isn't new to many of you on the list. Can one either "load" (parts of)
an image into a running "full/normal" image which has development
tools, or can I add back those tools to such an image externally
somehow? Surely that is not impossible, no image presumably can
effectively completely "lock out" development, or can it?

Thanks a lot,
Michael