[Newbies] Assignment

Maurice van Peursem squeak at vanpeursem.net
Fri Aug 10 00:25:23 UTC 2007

>On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:24:03 -0700, Maurice van Peursem
><squeak at vanpeursem.net> wrote:
>
>>What exactly does the following line mean?
>>cr Character cr.
>
>A typo? Unless by some means I don't understand a nil object is
>supposed to understand the message "Character".

Ah, that would explain a lot. Very confusing when there are typos in
a teaching manual...

>>I (as Perl programmer) would write:
>>cr := Character cr.
>
>I would think that's right.
>
>>[:c | c = cr ifTrue: [count count + 1]].
>
>Smalltalk has "=" and "==" as assignment and comparison
>respectively. So you need the "==" to compare c to cr.

No, I'm pretty sure you are wrong here, := is assignment, = means
equals, and == means identical. The difference is not explained, but
I take it as value equals vs. pointer equals. That is why I'm
confused, I would expect an = here, not an ==.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699

But there are errors in this document also, I hate it when I can't be
sure of a supposedly complete reference.

>It also should be "count := count + 1", I believe.

Yeah, the assignment is lost in all statements. Maybe they used the
underscore, and that got lost in the PDF?

Maurice