[Newbies] setting the font in a System Browser

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:45:42 UTC 2007

I've seen on the Squeak Map feed that a new font chooser is coming, so
that will help.

In my image, the top of the menu shows Page Up and Page Down menu choices.

Honestly, I use a script to set my font preferences. Here is a sample
one-liner that sets a single preference:

	Preferences setDefaultFonts: #((#setSystemFontTo: 'Comic Sans MS' 8))

Here is an elaboration on that (written as a class extension to
Preferences that I can manage with Monticello):

setDmmFonts
	"
	Preferences setDmmFonts
	"
	| face size selectors triplets |
	face := 'Bitstream Vera Sans'.
	size := 8.
	selectors := #(
		setSystemFontTo:
		setListFontTo:
		setFlapsFontTo:
		setEToysFontTo:
		setPaintBoxButtonFontTo:
		setMenuFontTo:
		setWindowTitleFontTo:
		setBalloonHelpFontTo:
		setCodeFontTo:
		setButtonFontTo: ).
	triplets := selectors collect: [:selector | Array with: selector
with: face with: size].
	self setDefaultFonts: triplets

Note, I called it Dmm fonts because those are my initials. The comment
makes it easy to click on the line and press do-it to update the font
choices.