[Newbies] Mod operator?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Sat Aug 11 22:47:52 UTC 2007

Hi Matthew,

I found the rem: method by finally thinking 'remainder' rather than
'mod'. I tried your approach, which sounded interesting, and it
worked, but then I had to spend a few minutes thinking *Why* does it
work?

When it finally dawned on me, I tried a couple other mathematical
examples. After yelling Wow! a couple of times, I tried it with
'hello . hel' and was really impressed.

Thanks for the tip!

-- John

On Aug 11, 2007, at 2:30 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 11:05:54AM -0400, John Almberg wrote:
>>    Sorry for this simple question, but I can't seem to find the
>> mod operator.
>>    As in, "what's the remainder after doing division?"
>>    Thanks: John
>
> For such questions, it is best to use the method finder:
> - Open method finder (world menu -> open -> method finder)
> - enter a mod expression ( such as 7 . 3 . 1 ) and hit enter
> - method finder gives several answers. Two of them are what you
>   are looking for
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
> Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

Marketing for On-line Collectible Dealers
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
jalmberg at identry.com