[Newbies] Ubuntu Linux

Enno Schwass onkelenno at mac.com
Mon Aug 13 13:36:59 UTC 2007

Hi

> I’m trying to install Squeak on a *fresh* installation of Ubuntu
> Linux 7.04
> (Feisty Fawn) using...
> Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> ...from Squeak.org. But it complains...
> “No binaries/libraries found for i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1.”
> I am completely baffled by how this can fail, unless no one on this
> planet
> has ever installed Squeak on Feisty Fawn. Can somebody give me a clue?

Squeak runs on Ubuntu 7.04 without problems here.
You download a tar.gz, so you want to install from source?
Try a pre-compiled Synaptic package instead. (Could be difficult on a
64bit Linux)

If you want to build from source, dont forget to install all the
development tools before.
Go to synaptic and install the "build-essential" package.

Hope that helps
Enno