[Newbies] deploying Squeak applications

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Mon Aug 13 13:36:17 UTC 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On 8/13/07, Mark Volkmann <mark at ociweb.com> wrote:
>> How are Squeak applications typically deployed to users?
>
> I'd package the image and changes file, maybe along with the VM,
> and ship those.

Tell me more about the changes file. When I do a save it seems to
update both my image file and my changes file. If all my changes are
saved in the changes file, why is the image file modified?

>> Is there a way to
>> create an image that runs a given method when double-clicked?
>
> You can add a class to the startup list:
> SystemDictionary>>#addToStartUpList: will do that. The class is
> required to understand the #startUp: message, which will be sent to it
> when the image is loaded and started. #startUp: accepts a Boolean
> telling it whether the image is resuming (newly started).

Would you say this is the most common way to deploy a Smalltalk
application to users, at least with Squeak?

>> Is there a way
>> to reduce an image to contain only the classes used from a given
>> starting
>> class?
>
> That one, I cannot answer.

---