[Newbies] Re:

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Aug 17 09:24:00 UTC 2007

El 8/16/07 6:06 PM, "pascal.vollmer at nexgo.de" <pascal.vollmer at nexgo.de>
escribió:

> Hello,
>
> Two questions:
>
> A.) I've tried to submit a question to Beginners mailing list but I did not
> succeed. I have subscribed to the Beginners list but despite this I get the
> following answer:
>
> ---snip---
>
> Your mail to 'Beginners' with the subject
>
>     Lines of code metrics for class category

> The reason it is being held:
>
>     Post by non-member to a members-only list
>
> Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
> notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel
> this posting, please visit the following URL:
>

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/confirm/beginners/9c414638c0e2a71b93
> af95315427afcd049603f7
>
> ---snip---
>
> So, what is wrong here. Did I miss something ?

Sure some is wrong with the list.
(Group)
Is mostly Spanish, but we have many who understand English too and could
help you

> B.) I would like to use an accounting scheme for the Lines of Code (LOC) I
> add/delete/modify/reuse from one release of my project to another. In order to
> do this I would need two things:
> 1. be able to have two versions of the same class category coexistent in the
> same image (my release from 1st of march versus the later release from 1st of
> april)

You can't have two versions of same class in the image.
Or not to this time, this could change in view of some recent ideas and
discussions

> 2. be able to "diff" those two versions and to determine
You could use actual .cs fileouts and have as many versions you like saved
to disk.
Via File Contents browser you could see and apply diff to classes and
methods.
> 2.1 number of added LOC
> 2.2 N of deleted LOC
> 2.3 N of modified LOC
> 2.4 N of reused LOC (coming from another place, not written by myself)
> I am aware of the nice diff feature which is available for methods. But I did
> not find a similar thing for an entire class or class category.
> (Background: I would like to compute these metrics in order to apply the
> "Personal Software Process". See: Watts S. Humphrey: A Discipline for Software
> Engineering, Addison-Wesley, 1995)

As your programming skills improve, your methods become shorter.
So best programmer have few LOC for same thing
The LOC concept is of no use in Smalltalk, but sure exist how to have it.

> Kind regards
> Pascal
>
> Pascal Vollmer
> Email: pascal.vollmer at ieee.org

I emailing you and the list, I hope your problem and maybe same of others
could be fixed.

Cheers.

Edgar