[Newbies] Block other processes?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Sat Aug 18 15:43:19 UTC 2007

I guess another way to ask this question is: is it possible for
Squeak to steal cycles from an Object's 'step' process, while the
step is running, or does the Object have control until the step
completes?

I suspect the later, since during long-executing steps, the rest of
Squeak seems frozen.

Note that I'm not really trying to use Squeak for real-time
processing. I'm just building a prototype in Squeak, since it has all
the networking stuff I need, plus a way to create a quick and dirty
user interface.

Plus I'm having fun learning Squeak :-)

-- John

On Aug 17, 2007, at 8:18 PM, John Almberg wrote:

> I'm trying to use Squeak to time an external process via a Socket
> Connection.
>
> I've got it working, but I'm suddenly wondering if the variation in
> timing is more due to internal delays in Squeak, than changes on
> the target system.
>
> For example, if the Squeak garbage collector runs while the timing
> loop is running, that could throw off the measurement.
>
> Is there any way to block the execution of other processes while in
> the timing loop?
>
> -- John

Websites for On-line Collectible Dealers
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
jalmberg at identry.com