[Newbies] The old inisqueak problem on Linux

johnps11 at bigpond.com johnps11 at bigpond.com
Wed Aug 22 23:54:55 UTC 2007

> Hi Michael,.

<snip>

>> Are you installing the package that
>> comes with your Linux distribution?
> Are there already such distributions? I wonder why SuSE does not have
> integrated Squeak yet.

Debian doesn't include Squeak in main because Squeak-L is not DFSG
compliant.  According to a note at the bottom of
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3733 (Squeak in Debian) dated 3 October 2006
Steve Jobs told Alan Kay he is willing to re-licence Squeak under the
Apache Licence so it can be used in the OLPC system.  Has this happened?
Will it happen?

I think that if Debian was convinced that Squeak could be safely
redistributed by them then most other GNU/Linux distributors would follow
suit (especialy Ubuntu and Edubuntu).