[Newbies] serving alternate image with Ubuntu LTSP

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 4 00:31:48 UTC 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 11:07 , sam wrote:

> I am trying to serve (Ubuntu server) squeak to a lab of thin client
> machines.
>
> After installing squeak on server I can.
>
>    * See and run squeak from Applications->Education on Server
>    * See and run squeak from Applications->Education on Client
>
> I really need to use the eToys image though so placed it on the
> server in the same directory as indicated on the  "Please choose a
> (sic) Image File"  dialog --- "home/****/squeak".
>
> Having done this I can:
>
>    * See and select the eToys image on the Server
>    * NOT see the eToys image on the client.
>
> At the moment I have to copy and paste  the image into each
> client's home/user/squeak in order to run it.
>
> This of course is not the end of the world but it means that every
> time I have new projects for the kids in the class, I have to copy
> them to the local accounts rather that serve them ...
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Sam,

Whoever wrote the Ubuntu scripts did not really have Etoys users in
mind :/

It's actually pretty simple. You only need the etoys image once,
installed in some system directory. For OLPC we use /usr/share/etoys
for example, but it doesn't really matter. What does matter however,
is that you use a script to run etoys which sets SQUEAK_SECUREDIR and
SQUEAK_USERDIR env vars to appropriate directories in the user's
home. Here is one such script, feel free to adapt:

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys.in

Btw, Kusasa is an awesome project! Feel free to join the Squeakland
or Etoys lists for discussion of Squeak in education. Also, the
version of Etoys we prepare for OLPC is much improved over the
current Squeakland version, and will in fact replace that soonish.

Cheers!

- Bert -