[Newbies] coming from VAST and being HU

RK hiding at freemail.hu
Thu Dec 6 19:00:17 UTC 2007

David,

Thank you very much for the details!

I was able to find what "Universes" is...
But now facing another problem...

I have Gentoo Linux. I have Squeak 3.9.7 and squeak-fullimage 3.8.6665.

Universes says that "The package has no published release for your
squeak version" Is it the image or the VM infrastructure that causes the
problem?

Questions:
- Should I download another image manually? Will itt work on this
infrastructure?

3.9-7 #1 2007. dec.  4., kedd, 20.31.26 CET gcc 4.1.2
Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
Linux tpgentoo 2.6.22-gentoo-r9 #3 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 5 18:28:56 CET
2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.9-7/*.so

- Should I download another precompiled squeak version with its images?
(sounds bad, as the strength of gentoo is to manage packages by itself
and compile them locally...)

It's getting to be complicated...I just wanted some special characters
to be displayed... :) How often does it happen that someone is forced to
change version? What about backward compatibility? I'm thinking of
migrating some of our key applications but I wouldn't like to go to a
never-ending version and download-hunt to keep it alive afterwards.

//I may have to contact the gentoo ebuild maintaner of squeak and ask to
upgrade, or do it myself, however, I do afraid I can't as I'm a
SMALLTALK developer, not C :)  //

Thanks and sorry for the very basic questions - I've read somewhere that
this forum is just for this :) :)

Best regards

Robert