[Newbies] Catching runaway process

stan414 squeak414 at free.fr
Thu Dec 6 20:08:57 UTC 2007

Hi, I probably should introduce myself before hitting you with some new
questions. I've been developing a website with games written in Java, and
decided that it was too slow to develop each new game, hence the interest in
Squeak. As I live on a French Alp, I have plenty of time for coding during
the off season.

My current project to teach myself Squeak is an experiment with
genetic/evolution algorithm.

Because of the randomness, I need to be able to catch antisocial processes.
I thought I could do this with CPUWatcher:

CPUWatcher startMonitoringPeriod: 20
		rate: 100
		threshold: 0.3

or by starting with the defaults in ProcessBrowser.

Then put the system into a loop:

!Darwin methodsFor: 'as yet unclassified' stamp: 'ss 12/6/2007 18:21'!
intentionalRunaway 	self intentionalRunaway! !

[Darwin new intentionalRunaway] forkAt: 30 named: 'runaway'
or just
Darwin new intentionalRunaway

I expected this to be caught by catchThePig, but it doesn't appear to find
it.

My O/S is Ubuntu 7.10, and the result was the same under Windows XP SP/2.

Have I misunderstood the function of ProcessBrowser/CPUWatcher/catchThePig?

Thanks,    ...Stan