[Newbies] TestFailure: Assertion failed in first practice from Squeak by Example

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 18:46:22 UTC 2007

TestFailure: Assertion failed in first practice from
Squeak by Example

Hi Eric,

Check your white space.

There is a difference between 'oh no' and 'oh no '.
While its hard for me to tell if this is your problem
it is a common difficulty. And it will be easy for you
to eliminate it as a possibility.

Hth.

Yours incuriosity and service, --Jeorme Peace

Eric Eisaman eric.eisaman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:28:41 UTC 2007

Yes, the shout method is defined in the String object.

***

<stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:

>> Hi Eric
>>
>> On 10 déc. 07, at 21:48, Eric Eisaman wrote:
>>
>> > Hell Squeakers,
>> >
>> > At home I went through the first half of the
Squeak by Example
>> > book. The guided practice went without a hitch
however, when I
>> > worked through the first practice of writing a
simple String method
>> > at work, on a different image, I ran into this
problem. Why am I
>> > receiving an 'Assertion failed' message?
>> >
>> > testShout
>> >  self assert: ('oh no' shout = 'OH NO!')
>> >

>> where the shout method is defined?
>> In String?