[Newbies] How to install packages? Scamper chicken and egg problem
joviko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:37:59 UTC 2007
I'm very new to Squeak, so this is probably just the result of me
doing something dumb. I'm having a hard time installing any packages.
Here's what I've done:
1. Downloaded and installed Squeak3.9-7067mac vm 3.8.18beta1U
2. Double-clicked on "Squeak3.9-final-7067.image" file. The Squeak VM
started up just fine.
3. From the "Welcome to Squeak - an open Smalltalk system" window,
clicked on "SMLoader open" to run the SqueakMap Package Loader.
4. Selected a package, any package. Let's say "15-Puzzle (->1.1)",
the first one in the list.
5. Clicked on the expansion arrow for "15-Puzzle (->1.1).
6. Clicked on the "1.1" subheading.
7. Clicked on the "Download:" link in the right-hand (description) window pane.
8. A pop-up window appeared: "Open a browser to view this URL?" Clicked "Yes".
9. A pop-up warning appeared: "There are no WebBrowser applications
registered." Clicked "OK".
10. A pop-up window appeared: "Couldn't find a web browser. View page
as source?" Clicked "Cancel".
Hmmmm. OK, well, it is a bit surprising that the web browser isn't
included in the base image, but never mind, I'll just install it
first. I remember seeing somewhere that the browser is called
11. Scrolled down in SMLoader to "Scamper (->12)", clicked on
expansion arrowhead, clicked on "12" subheading.
12. Copied "http://www.squeaksource.com/Scamper/Scamper-kfr.12.mcz"
into my Firefox browser and download the file. (Did the "copy" by
hand; could select the text of the filename, but couldn't Copy it.)
13. Put the "Scamper-kfr.12.mcz" file in the "Squeak3.9-7067mac vm
14. Flailed around, trying to figure out how to get Squeak to open the
file. Eventually just drag-and-dropped the file onto the Squeak
15. A pop-up window appeared: "open in zip viewer / extract all to ...
/ load". Select "load" (it sounded like what I wanted).
16. A pop-up window appeared: "loading snapshot/source.st".
Now we're getting somewhere! Or are we? Where is the browser? OK, it's
loaded but not instantiated or something. I need to select it from one
of Squeak's many browsers. Objects, maybe?
17. Clicked on the "objects" flap.
18. Clicked on "alphabetic".
19. Clicked on "s".
20. A window came up: "MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>parse:".
First line in window is "UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
Um, that's not good. OK, I give. How do I install Scamper? Or any
package, for that matter?
More information about the Beginners