[Newbies] How to install packages? Scamper chicken and egg problem

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Dec 31 17:24:41 UTC 2007

John,

Nice to hear that you succeed now wit your installation. For more (and
about working on Mac) I strongly suggest you to look in on-line book
Squeak by example: http://www.squeakbyexample.org/. Very interesting
read in any case!

Janko

John Koger wrote:
> [...]
> Scamper? I'll try installing a few other packages and see how far I
> get.
>
> OK, I tried to install the big "Balloon 3D" package, and it installed
> just fine, and I can find a "B3DMorph" object and play with it without
> errors, so I am thinking that the Scamper "parse" and "flush" errors
> must be unique to Scamper.
>
> Thanks again for the help!!!
>
> On Dec 31, 2007 7:44 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>> The fastes and and always workable steps to install Squeak packages are:
>>
>> 1. left click on Squeak desktop to get a popu menu and choose Open...
>> 2. Choose SqueakMap Package Browser
>> 3. Say Yes to "The map on this is more than 10 days old.", if this arise
>> 4. Choose you package and click on arow to get its versions
>> 5. Choose a version and right click to get popup
>> 6. Choose Install
>>
>> So, from your description you missed the 5th and 6th step. I hope this
>> will now help you install without problems.
>>
>> Janko
>>

>> John Koger wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm very new to Squeak, so this is probably just the result of me
>>> doing something dumb. I'm having a hard time installing any packages.
>>>
>>> Here's what I've done:
>>>
>>> 1. Downloaded and installed Squeak3.9-7067mac vm 3.8.18beta1U
>>>
>>> 2. Double-clicked on "Squeak3.9-final-7067.image" file. The Squeak VM
>>> started up just fine.
>>>
>>> 3. From the "Welcome to Squeak - an open Smalltalk system" window,
>>> clicked on "SMLoader open" to run the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>>>
>>> 4. Selected a package, any package.  Let's say "15-Puzzle (->1.1)",
>>> the first one in the list.
>>>
>>> 5. Clicked on the expansion arrow for "15-Puzzle (->1.1).
>>>
>>> 6. Clicked on the "1.1" subheading.
>>>
>>> 7. Clicked on the "Download:" link in the right-hand (description) window pane.
>>>
>>> 8. A pop-up window appeared: "Open a browser to view this URL?" Clicked "Yes".
>>>
>>> 9. A pop-up warning appeared: "There are no WebBrowser applications
>>> registered." Clicked "OK".
>>>
>>> 10. A pop-up window appeared: "Couldn't find a web browser. View page
>>> as source?" Clicked "Cancel".
>>>
>>> Hmmmm. OK, well, it is a bit surprising that the web browser isn't
>>> included in the base image, but never mind, I'll just install it
>>> first. I remember seeing somewhere that the browser is called
>>> "Scamper".
>>>
>>> 11. Scrolled down in SMLoader to "Scamper (->12)", clicked on
>>> expansion arrowhead, clicked on "12" subheading.
>>>
>>> 12. Copied "http://www.squeaksource.com/Scamper/Scamper-kfr.12.mcz"
>>> into my Firefox browser and download the file. (Did the "copy" by
>>> hand; could select the text of the filename, but couldn't Copy it.)
>>>
>>> 13. Put the "Scamper-kfr.12.mcz" file in the "Squeak3.9-7067mac vm
>>> 3.8.18beta1U" directory.
>>>
>>> 14. Flailed around, trying to figure out how to get Squeak to open the
>>> file. Eventually just drag-and-dropped the file onto the Squeak