[Newbies] Re: anObject select: #aMethodName -- is this good Squeak?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Feb 8 07:02:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 01:02:50 +0100, Michael Davies wrote:
> On 07/02/07, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
>>
>> Not to mention the fact that if you use a Symbol instead of a block,
>> that use won't be listed in the Senders browser.
>>
>>         Giovanni
>
> That was one of the things that I originally thought would weigh
> against this idiom, but found to my surprise that "Senders of"
> identified these references correctly-- I'd previously found symbols
> being included in my results and wondered why, but it looks as though
> someone was aware of this gotcha.

Yes, and it is even more general: have a look at method #badSelectors for
example, and check the senders of one of the symbols in this list. If a
method refers (anyhow) to a symbol, the latter is considered a (potential)
sender.

So you can find the #mySymbol sender when you use it in (myObject perform:
#mySymbol), but the same goes for (myCollection select: #mySymbol).

BTW I whish that Marcus would read this thread, he invented
Symbol>>#value: :)

/Klaus