[Newbies] Monticello ad distribution

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Tue Feb 13 16:35:47 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get into Monticello usage right now.
> I'm using Magritte and MagritteGlorp for my project.
>
> I loaded all packages for magritte from lukas' site.
> Then I installed MagritteGlorp from squeaksource which has an
> own version of Magritte-Model. Now I did a change to
> Magritte-Model myself. Where do I put the package?
>
> I would like to put it on the official (lukas') repo. But I'm
> not sure how to do it. Packages have information about the
> package version they are based on. But the version numbers in
> MagritteGlorp aren't present in the official repository. What
> would be the result of putting my changed version on the
> official repo?
>
> Is there a standard workflow for this? I doubt that package
> have any reference that they know where they come from.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Norbert

If you look, you'll notice there are no changes in the version in the
MagritteGlorp repository.  It's there because I use dependencies and often
put debugging code into Magritte while I'm testing, though I never commit it
like that.  What happens is that my local version gets marked as changed,
and then stamped with a version when committed.

The thing to do is simply merge in the code from the official Magritte
repository.  Get used to doing merges, that's how development is done in
Monticello.

Once you merge in the latest code, and test your own changes, you can commit
to the official repository so your changes can be reviewed.  If people like
your changes, they'll merge them into the main line.  With Magritte... the
main line is whatever line Lukas is working on.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com