[Newbies] Monticell or Changesets?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Jan 2 08:49:10 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Grant Rettke" <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Coming from Subversion I'm trying to understand if I should be
> learning Monticello, Changesets, or both, for version control.

Monticello is the "equivalent" of Subversion (but is nicer to work with
IMHO) so you should definitely use Monticello for team/project source
code management. It is very simple to learn and use.

ChangeSets is an older (but trusty) mechanism that more resembles
patch-files in Unix land. We use them for bug fixes etc - and most of us
(we who maintain public packages) accept changesets as small
enhancements/fixes if sent by email. Some prefer Monticello snapshots
though - and definitely if it is more than trivial small changes.

ChangeSets are not easy to use for project source code management. They
can also easily trip you up - especially when doing class renames etc.

They are useful as a "changelog" ijn the image though - I routinely use
them at the same time as I use Monticello - just to be able to see what
I have touched.

regards, Göran