[Newbies] Squeak speed under Mac OS X

Aleksandr Skobelev al_skobelev at mail.ru
Wed Jan 3 12:07:08 UTC 2007

> On 1/2/07, Aleksandr Skobelev <al_skobelev at mail.ru> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering, is there any reason for Squeak to be so deadly
> slow on
> > iBook with 1.33 GHz Power PC CPU and 1 GB RAM and load it so
> much? Is
> > it a feature of the PPC implmentation or Squeak itself? Is there any
> > choice that in near future Squeak performace on PPC will improve?
>
> Our definitions of "deadly slow" may be different.  I run Squeak on an
> old iBook...
>
> Machine Name:	iBook G4
> Machine Model:	PowerBook6,5
> CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (1.1)
> Number Of CPUs:	1
> CPU Speed:	1.33 GHz
> L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
> Memory:	768 MB
> Bus Speed:	133 MHz
>
> ...with less memory than you have and find it more than fast enough.
> What are you doing with Squeak?
>
> Steve

Well we have almost identical iBooks (I have 256 MB more and an
updated CPU):

  Machine Name:	iBook G4
  Machine Model:	PowerBook6,7
  CPU Type:	PowerPC G4 (1.2)
  Number Of CPUs:	1
  CPU Speed:	1.33 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
  Memory:	1 GB
  Bus Speed:	133 MHz

But I can not say it is more than fast enough. It might be that I was
a bit incorrect in my previous message, and I needed to title it
"Squeak CPU speed". But the sad story that I do almost nothing with
it, I'm just trying to use it figure out what it is. And I see that
GUI responsiveness is too low and the such basic operations as
changing a window size or moving it (with fastDragWindowForMorphic
disaibled) load CPU upto 100%. And after I've installed DejaVu fonts,
I need to wait upto 4 seconds everytime I change size of the
SqueakMap Package Loader window. Switching from the Class libraries
category to Development tools takes about 8 seconds.

Thanks,
Aleksandr