[Newbies] Creating a Form Editor

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jan 5 09:17:20 UTC 2007

On 05.01.2007, at 05:56, Bruce Prior wrote:

> Hi Squeakers,
>
> I have been reading Adele Goldberg's classic text, "Smalltalk-80
> The Interactive Programming Environment," and came across this in
> Chapter 7, "How to make Pictures."

> Further down, Adele says, "The message edit can be sent to any
> instance of Form." But when I checked with my browser I found that
> Form has a class method extent: but not an instance method extent:.
>
> So I tried (Form extent: 300 @ 400) edit and the Form Editor
> appeared as desired. Is this because Smalltalk and Squeak are
> different somehow, or is there a mistake in the text, or?

The Smalltalk as documented in Adele's books is a very old version. A
lot has changed. Forms, for example, have been extended to support
color. And the interface
for instance creation has been changed, as you have seen.

In general, the goal of Squeak was (should be, used to be) not to re-
create a 100% Smalltalk-80 compatible system, but to transcend
Smalltalk... sadly not much has been
archieved, and the sytem even contains a lot of the old MVC code that
is not used anymore (and slightly broken in many cases, as code not
used rots). The Form editor,
for example, seems to only work in MVC and not Morphic.

	Marcus