[Newbies] Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Grant Rettke grettke at acm.org
Tue Jan 23 17:52:09 UTC 2007

Does that book cover the features of the development environment
itself? Is it the white or the blue Guzdial book?

I've found with other communities surrounding a long-running (old)
technology that everyone sort of takes for granted "how easy it is to
use the tool". However, folks brand new to both Squeak and Smalltalk,
while at the same time being well experienced in other languages, are
often presented with advice like "read the source code". Come on, give
me a break. You need a guide telling you how to use source code
control, create and modify classes, run stuff, and refactor stuff.
There is nothing like that, though, and a lot of people give upon
Squeak becase you have to piece together information from ten
different web pages. The lists are really helpful, but still, you need
a simple place to start. Most people haven't got the time to invest in
"discovering" everything on their own.