[Newbies] Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Tue Jan 23 18:12:08 UTC 2007

Grant Rettke wrote:
> Does that book cover the features of the development environment
> itself? Is it the white or the blue Guzdial book?
>
> I've found with other communities surrounding a long-running (old)
> technology that everyone sort of takes for granted "how easy it is to
> use the tool". However, folks brand new to both Squeak and Smalltalk,
> while at the same time being well experienced in other languages, are
> often presented with advice like "read the source code". Come on, give
> me a break. You need a guide telling you how to use source code
> control, create and modify classes, run stuff, and refactor stuff.
> There is nothing like that, though, and a lot of people give upon
> Squeak becase you have to piece together information from ten
> different web pages. The lists are really helpful, but still, you need
> a simple place to start. Most people haven't got the time to invest in
> "discovering" everything on their own.

I still promote the book "Squeak A Quick Trip to ObjectLand" (Addison
Wesley) for a simple place to start.

Also, I don't  know if anyone pointed you to the free books:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

These links may also be helpful (sorry  if someone already posted them:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/792 - Squeak Tutorials
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5810 - Hitchhikers Guide to Squeak
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/377 - Introductions to Squeak
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/4 - Basic Squeak Development Tools
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2983 - Documentation

> On 1/23/07, Mark Bailey <Mark.Bailey at sas.com> wrote:
>> While not a training course per se, you might look into Mark Guzdial's
>> books ("Squeak" is in the title) and the associated materials found on
>> his Web site. They lead you through much of Squeak, although an
>> earlier version.

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com