[Newbies] Re: Rome (Cairo) installation problems

Sebasstian Nozzi sebnozzi at gmx.net
Wed Jan 24 20:33:42 UTC 2007

> Where did you find that package? Oh I see, it's been recently checked
> into the the squeaksource repository, probably by accident. It's used by
> the Sophie folks, you do not actually need it. It tries to add some
> methods to FreetypeFontFace which is in the Sophie repositories.

No, my mistake was that I didn't try to install them using Monticello.
In fact, I didn't even know what Monticello is or how it works. Sorry :-)

>> - Rome-Plugin-be.33.mcz
>
> This needs the Rome plugin. Precompiled plugins are, for example, in
> Sophie:
>
> 	http://sophieproject.org/download

Thanks for the advice.

> Actually, to start with Rome you should follow the advice which packages
> to install on the download page:
>
> 	http://squeaksource.com/Rome.html

It works fine with Croquet. With Tweak I didn't try but I assume also
works fine.

With the normal Squeak 3.8 it doesn't work, since it needs many VMMaker
classes that are not in the image (no idea on how to get them).

The demos work, most of them, but not all.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help so far.

Sebastian