[Newbies] Tweak questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 31 20:04:11 UTC 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 19:28 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> I'm reading the introduction to tweak and wondering why everything has
> to be in a Tweak project window. Or does it?

You can choose "open tweak project" from the world menu and enter it.
This is actually much more efficient because then Tweak draws
directly to the screen, and no Morphic process is running anymore.
There was also an experimental image that actually stripped Morphic
out after going full Tweak.

> The coolness of morphic in
> squeak is that the world encompasses the complete space. Granted, it's
> just a big pasteup morph, but it allows one to have  (seemingly) total
> freedom from the confines of windows, menu bars, menus.

Apparently you do not remember how Morphic started out in an MVC
window ;)

It took quite some time to support Morphic taking over (that is,
entering a Morphic project full-screen), and even more until we felt
safe to make Morphic the default at startup.

> I trust that Tweak will have, or does have, the flexibility to remove
> these menus and have a total open space to work within. Is the plan to
> have an image that Tweak is the master UI like morphic is today?

Yes, that's the plan at least for Croquet. The main hold-back for
this is that the Tweak development tools are not yet up to par with
the Morphic ones. We do have browsers etc., implemented by Marcus
Denker a long while ago, but it is pretty basic comfort-wise.
ToolBuilder was written by Andreas to leverage the existing tools,
and it works in principle (like, Monticello supports ToolBuilder so
it works under Tweak, too). ToolBuilder is actually pretty cool
because you could build your app once and then run it under Morphic,
or Tweak, or with native widget (wxSqueak), or over the web with a
Seaside UI. But after the initial enthusiasm in the community
(someone did an MVC port IIRC) there was little follow-up on this.

> BTW, Is there anyway to mix and match  tweak and morphic objects?

You can run a Tweak world in a Morphic window, and any graphical
Tweak object can act as world, so you can put any Tweak object in a
Morphic window. Impara used that for Plopp, the whole skinned UI is
done in Tweak and usually layered on top of an OpenGL window, but
when starting up it can also show such a Tweak dialog in a Morphic
window.

- Bert -