[Newbies] Dealing with AnObsoleteC3 Class

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:32:54 UTC 2007

On 31/01/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2007, at 20:22 , Michael Davies wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to refactor a piece of code using the refactoring browser,
> > but I've started getting messages telling me that AnObsoleteC3 class
> > does not understand #directlyDefinesMethod.
> >

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2631

Thanks Bert, that's a very useful reference. I've followed the advice
there, and when I get to bringing up the Pointer Finder it says:

#ProtoObject -> ProtoObject class
subclasses: Array
9: AnObsoleteC3 class

So it looks to me as though ProtoObject is the only thing holding a
reference to this obsolete class. I inspected it and the subclasses
array has 105 members, many of them repeated Obsolete classes:

{Object . ObjectOut . ImageSegmentRootStub . MessageCatcher .
DynamicBindingsInfo . MaMinimalObject . MAConditionBuilder .
MAProxyObject . AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 .
AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 . AnObsoleteC3 .
AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 . AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 .
AnObsoleteC6 . AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 .

I'm not sure that this is the way things should be!

Any pointers for next steps?