[Newbies] Dealing with AnObsoleteC3 Class

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:33:34 UTC 2007

On 31/01/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2007, at 22:32 , Michael Davies wrote:
[snip]
> > ProtoObject subclasses looks like this:
> > {Object . ObjectOut . ImageSegmentRootStub . MessageCatcher .
> > DynamicBindingsInfo . MaMinimalObject . MAConditionBuilder .
> > MAProxyObject . AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 .
> > AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 . AnObsoleteC3 .
> > AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 . AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 .
> > AnObsoleteC6 . AnObsoleteC3 . AnObsoleteC4 . AnObsoleteC6 .
> > ...etc... }
> >
> > I'm not sure that this is the way things should be!
> >
> > Any pointers for next steps?
>
> No idea. If I had to guess then these look like Magma proxies to me.
> You might get help on the Magma list.

Thanks, but I'm not sure that it's Magma causing the problem: I did a
search through references to ProtoObject, and found that
TraitsResource (in Traits-Tests) looks like the guilty party - it has
three methods setUpTrivialRequiresFixture,
setUpTwoLevelRequiresFixture, setUpTranslatingRequiresFixture - these
include lines like (for C3, C4, C6):

	self c3: (self
				createClassNamed: #C3
				superclass: ProtoObject
				uses: { }).
	self c3 superclass: nil.

Sooo, it doesn't look as though getting rid of these classes will
break anything, but I can't see why they're still hanging around!

Can anybody help me take this any further or should I be looking to
the general list?

Thanks,
Michael

(ps Ramon Leon has got an excellent tool for tidying up an image --
see http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/squeak-smalltalk-image-maintenance/
)