[Newbies] How to use Mac OS X system fonts?

Benjamin Schroeder benschroeder at acm.org
Mon Jul 9 02:01:29 UTC 2007

On Jul 8, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Conrad Taylor wrote:

> Hi, I'm on a Mac OS X 10.4.10 and I would like to use "Monaco 14pt" is
> there an easy way to access my system fonts.  At this time, the Squeak
> environment doesn't contain all my fonts when I go to
>
> World -> appearance -> Standard System Fonts -> default text font...

Hi Conrad,

Until recently, Squeak could use TrueType fonts, but they had to be
imported on a font-by-font basis. However, there is a new "FreeType
Plus" package that adds your system's fonts to your font menu.

	http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5984

I think the package is only for Squeak 3.9 and above. I have recently
used it on Squeak3.9-final-7067, on Mac OS 10.4.10, but I believe it
works on Windows and Linux as well.

To get FreeType Plus,

	Choose "open ..." then "SqueakMap Package Loader" from the World menu.

	At this point, the system may prompt you to update the map of available
	packages from the Internet. If it does so, say "yes".

	If there is no prompt about updating, option-click on the list of
packages and
	choose "update map from the net".

	Scroll down to "FreeType Plus". Option-click on it and choose
"install".

If you are running a recent Mac OS VM, you will already have the
right plugins. I am running the Carbon "Squeak 3.8.17beta5U" VM. (The
Carbon VM is the one with the gold icon. There is also a VM that is
based on the one for Unix, which I think has a blue icon. FreeType
may work fine with either VM - I just don't know for sure. :)

After doing the above, you should have the system fonts in your
"appearance" menus. Note that there are "page up" and "page down"
options at the top of the menu which will let you get to all your fonts!

If you already have browsers/workspaces/whatever open, you may need
to open new ones to see the changes.

Hope this helps,
Benjamin Schroeder