[Newbies] Morphic Tutorial for Basic Window Functions

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gulik.co.nz
Fri Jul 13 07:45:49 UTC 2007

Jack Williams wrote:
> I am looking for a tutorial that covers basic window
> management: how to put a window on the screen on the
> screen, draw a form, gather data from the fields and
> return the user reponses to the application.
>
> I can find morphic tutorials that show how to animate
> something and do cool stuff, but not how to do the
> basics.
>
> I am new to smalltalk and any help is appreciated.

Hi Jack.

It seems that nobody has replied yet, so I'll insert my snide remarks ;-).

Firstly, I tried Morphic and gave up. It's hard work to get going and
it's harder work to make something behave the way you want. While I
eventually got an application going, I wasted a lot of time working
around "quirks".

Instead, I'd recommend that you learn and use ToolBuilder. It's a
multiplatform UI API. To get it, add this as a Monticello repository:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://squeaksource.com/ToolBuilder'
    user: 'user'
    password: ''

(Keep fiddling with this until it works - I tried without a username and
it opened up a blank window (?!) ).

Then load up "ToolBuilder-Kernel", "ToolBuilder-Specs",
"ToolBuilder-Morphic" and "ToolBuilder-examples".

Then look for "buildWith:" methods in the examples. That's where most of
the UI code is. I'm not sure if there's any documentation out there, but
feel free to ask about anything here.

Regards,
Michael.