[Newbies] code completion

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Jul 21 19:48:23 UTC 2007

Hello Grunt,

g> I see that RoelTyper and eCompletion aren't guaranteed to be compatible with
g> my images v3.9. How important is it to only use compatible packages?

I guess you have to try. As you suggest yourself, you can always go
back if you just quit. And just in case you don't find the problems a
new package might introduce early, take a copy of .image AND!
.changes. So you can go back even after a save.

BTW if you manage to blow up an image (I already did) you can take an
older image + changes and open the .changes of the blown up image with
a file list. There you get the options of browsing the changes and
recover them. So actually it's harder to loose ones work in Smalltalk
than in other languages.

OTOH eCompletion is widely used and RoelTyper is a prerequisite for it,
so they should work. Before installing you might look at SqueakSource
if there are newer versions. Not everything what is developed there is
published to SqueakMap.

Hey, I'm a bit verbose tonight :-)

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net