[Newbies] More than 256 literals referenced.

Robert Stehwien rstehwien at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:47:47 UTC 2007

What is the source of the error produced by the following code?
----------
initialize
	table := OrderedCollection new.

	"there  are 100 entries like what is below"

	table add: ({
		#value->2.
		#cost->-3.
		#step->2.
		#defense->3.
		#combatMove->7.
		#fullMove->14.
		#carry->10.
		#lift->20.
		#death->20.
		#unconscious->11.
		#woundThreshold->4.
		#recovery->0.5.
		#mysticArmor->0.
	} as: Dictionary).
----------
More than 256 literals referenced.
You must split or otherwise simplify this method.
The 257th literal is: 4360

I'm trying to create a data table for a program and I'm wondering if
I'm limited to 256 literals per class or method.  I tried initilizing
the table in multiple methods (setting 50 per method) but get the same
error.

I'll probably just put the data in a database and do the lookup when
needed or load the table from a file.  But I wanted to know the source
of the problem.

Thanks,
Robert