[Newbies] subclasses detect

Steve Wessels swessels1955 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 20:49:06 UTC 2007

Its returning the actual matched class object.  Not a symbol.

  - Steve

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 31, 2007, at 3:14 PM, gruntfuttuck <gruntfuttuck at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello

In the laser game tutorial by Stephan B Wessels I was intrerested by this
code:

directionFor: aSymbol
   ^ self subclasses
       detect: [:cls | cls directionSymbol = aSymbol]

The code appears here at the bottom of the page:
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/038.html

What I read this code as doing, in this example is: return an symbol object
which is a sublass instance varable, if it is the same as aSymbol.

What would happen if more than one subclass object had a match?

Also how else can subclasses detect: be used? It looks very interesting.

Grunt