[Newbies] squeak on ubuntu linux

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gulik.co.nz
Mon Jun 4 10:32:42 UTC 2007

Liliana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an Intel dual core 64 bit server where we installed Ubuntu 7.04
>
> We are all new in Squeak/Smalltalk; but we managed to develop a small
> Seaside app in Squeak (on Windows XP) using Squeak 3.9 and Seaside 2.7
> (latest).
>
> We would now like to install this image on the linux server and run
> seaside there, under Apache.
>
> I read quite a few of posts and Ramon Leon’s blog on how to get a
> squeak/seaside headless vm working on Linux; but we are all but
> confused; and didn’t manage to get anywhere.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do we need x-windows, or not (we will not do development on the
> linux server)?

Also - you'll need a way to manage Squeak remotely.

I recommend either using the Squeak VNC server (should be on SqueakMap?)
which many people have had success with, or the REPLServer which is a
telnet server that runs simple Smalltalk commands - an old version is on
SqueakMap, or I've made a nicer version at
http://www.squeaksource.com/SecureSqueak/REPL-mvdg.13.mcz.

Michael.