[Newbies] squeak on ubuntu linux

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 00:06:46 UTC 2007

> Hi Michael.
>
> Thank you for your reply so far...

>>*I would recommend trying the 64-bit binaries:
*>>*http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/.
<http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/> I have used this version of Squeak
on*
> an AMD-64 machine without any problems.
>
> This site has Squeak3.8g-6548...
> I understand that our 3.9, 32bit, image should not run under this squeak
> anyway?
> We did try that build. I can't remember the errors we've got; but it didn't
> work. We could try it again and report the errors if need be..

Yes, please report those errors so we can help you further.

The VM version does not need to match the Image version. In fact, at the
moment I'm running a Squeak VM version 3.3 on my PDA with the 3.8 image,
and it works fine.

The 64-bit VM can run both 32-bit images and 64-bit images. Unfortunately,
I can't remember how this worked. If I remember correctly, you could compile
two binaries - one for 32-bit images and one for 64-bit images.

I also believe that the 64-bit VM was originally made because the 32-bit
VM didn't work at all on 64-bit architectures. Can anybody else confirm
this?

Also make sure that you have the ia32-libs Ubuntu package installed -
this may magically make the 32-bit VMs work.

Michael.