[Newbies] Executing an external program

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 15 01:23:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 05:53:24PM +0200, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> What are the possibility to execute an external program from Squeak? And
> portable for sebveral OS host?
> The programm I want to execute will do so briefly.
>
> I read aboud OSProcess, CommandShell but I am not sure where it is best
> to look at.

Hilaire,

OSProcess and CommandShell work well for doing this on Unix, and I think
that most things work well on Mac OS X also. It is not really useful for
Windows, and does not work at all on RiscOS.

FFI is very good for running programs on Windows, and also does many
things in a cross-platform manner.

There is not (yet) a general cross-platform solution. If you can explain
what kind of program you are trying to run, maybe I can give a suggestion.

Dave