[Newbies] How do you find which code runs when you click on something?

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 02:14:52 UTC 2007

Others gave the general approach and how to easily add code to menus.

I also tear apart menus, like you describe. Here's what I do:

Explore morph and then look at target, selector, and arguments. Usually
the selector is doMenuItem:with: and the arguments have the menu item
and a symbol that becomes the message send. Check implementors of the
symbol.

Also, since most of the UI is "translated" you can find most of the
messages that build the UI by looking at senders (alt+n) of translated.