[Newbies] Squeak slows to start up in Windows

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Tue Mar 6 16:27:20 UTC 2007

I remember also Andreas saying something about the VM is slow to start
because it is checking to see if it is running as a service.  He also
mentioned that the new VM removes that option so that it is faster to start
up.  I haven't tried the new VM yet but I've been meaning too.

The removal of that feature in the VM means that you will need to manually
register squeak as a service if that is how you are running it.

I usually just wait for it to start, and I have multiple images in the
directory.  It's odd that sometimes it is very quick, sometimes not so
quick.  It is also much faster starting an image if one is already running
(I run a squeakSource image also) but I have no idea why.

Ron