[Newbies] Uploading Patches and Enabling Features in CommercialSystems

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 17:20:19 UTC 2007

Hello Ron,

RT> Nobody updated my list!  I guess this could mean two things either my list
RT> is perfect, or nobody cares.  Please let me know if my comments are not
RT> helpful so that I don't spend too much time on it.
thanks for going into details, I'm interested but not currently.
But I read everything you write carefully!

I'm of the hardware lock fraction mainly because the one I'm using
offers interesting options in software payment.

But this is a far in the future plan.

The things that afaik software locking is bad at are:
-floating licenses
-move licenses (for laptop use)
-stolen keys

Once you have a hardware lock, you just encrypt every patch you send
with it and only the owner of the right lock can install it.

We have about 1000 customers using AutoCAD. They complained about the
dongle (which was trivial to break) but they really started
complaining when Adesk introduced soft locking and a software to
transfer licenses with.

We use a CA for email in another company. It's just a pain when
something breaks (certificate expires, the IT person has a belly ache
and accounting can not send encrypted emails.)

To any one interested: www.codemeter.com .

Anyway most of the discussion also is valid for dongle protected
software so I'm awaiting your next posts.

Things to add to your list:
Security measures have to be spread in many places of the system.
Security measures should be diverse.
You have to be very careful not to inconvenience (this seems to be a
word, the spell checker doesn't complain) your customers.

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net